Thursday, June 26, 2014

Summer so far...


Summer time is here and it really does go by way too fast!

It seems like just yesterday we were getting everything ready for our opening day at our campground but it’s hard to believe that that was already over a month ago! So far we haven’t seen a lot of what most normal humans would call, “summer,” but it is here and we have to take full advantage of it.

So far we’ve spent a lot of our time preparing to get busy with tubers and campers, but the one thing about the tourism industry is that you are so dependent on the weather and water conditions and so many other factors that are completely out of your control. But when things fall into place we become super busy and it’s one of the most fun jobs around. Every day is different, even if you’re doing the same things. Any job where you’re interacting with customers is the same way. You offer the same service to everyone but the individuals you’re dealing with are such a huge part of the whole service that whoever they are and theirs and your interactions really become the product.


We’ve been really lucky over the years to hire some fantastic people who have really become like family to us. I think the kids that have worked for us, or our parents, over the years truly get the feeling that we really do care for them and go out of our way to ensure that they have plenty of hours and that they never feel like they’re on their own. We give them plenty of shit along the way but I think we also try to prepare them for life and everything that comes next for them. It’s a fast paced environment, when we’re busy, and you deal with so many random people. Most of the customers are absolutely fantastic, but every now and then you deal with a jerk, but this happens no matter what career you choose.

We have had some of the most introverted people in the world work for us over the years and after a short period of time with us they become far more outgoing and boisterous. It’s one of the things we pride ourselves on. I love to see kids who seem to stick to themselves and don’t really seem like they know how to interact with people come out of their shells with us and the customers. The experience they get working with the different people at the campground really does open them up to dealing with anything, anywhere.

In case you were wondering why my brother, sisters, and myself can generally talk to anyone and aren’t afraid to try new things, we’ve grown up in an environment where you were doing this every day. Our business has shaped us into the individuals we are today, and although some people haven’t always liked our business, I hope when they take the time to actually get to know us, they start to see what our business truly is.

The summer has been pretty rough on me physically too, as I’m finding out that I’m getting old…

I started running last year, and somehow found myself actually enjoying it, and this year I decided to train to run a half marathon with my friend Dan in the fall of the year. I began my outside running in early May and shortly after I began to have some trouble with my calf. I continued to try to run on it but one day I made it about .7 miles and thought I would have to call for a ride home! It caused me so much pain that I wasn’t able to walk normally and began to worry that it may cause me other problems…because I’m old…and I don’t really want to have a hip replacement yet!


I recently ordered some leg sleeves which I held out doing because I didn’t want to look too professional (or ridiculous) while I trained, but hopefully they will help. I bought them based on a recommendation from a friend who had been having similar problems with his calf…turns out it was torn and he told me that there was nothing he could do and that the calf would never be as strong as it once was…I told him thanks for the advice Debbie Downer and began to sob into my pillow.

The problem with not running is that:

1. The Blerch is catching me.

2. I’m still on my bus driving sleep schedule so I have too much down time in the mornings.

3. I’m so much more tired all of the time.

4. I promised some of my bus kids that I would run the Lions Club 5K with them!

It’s crazy what a little exercise will do for you, it’s hard to get yourself to start sometimes but it really is crazy how hard it is to stop when you get going on a routine. You feel bad about missing a workout day, which is something I never thought would be the case for me. In college I played a lot of basketball and generally felt a little bad if I missed a day playing, the difference was that the exercise wasn’t doing me as good because I would spend most of my nights after basketball playing “31” with the Four Horseman.

The one thing that I’m seriously lacking in doing this summer is reading. I got a ton of books on my Kindle for free through Amazon (I enjoy the classics, and luckily Amazon offers a ton of these for free!) but I’ve only read a couple of books this summer and hopefully before long I’m too busy to read except on my days off…which hopefully I won’t have a lot of!

It’s been a busy summer so far, even though we haven’t been too busy business wise. One of these days that will pick up though and then I probably won’t have time to even blog…but there are some other exciting things that are coming up for Banana Daiquiris and Life Lessons as well! We’ll keep you posted on that as soon as we get the go ahead!

I hope you’re all enjoying your summer so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment