Saturday, June 14, 2014

When Kelly Comes to Town


If I were a Meme.

Recently one of the contributors to BDandLL traveled all the way from Arizona to the great state of Minnesota and although he was only here for a very short period of time, he decided to spend a night hanging out with a couple of misfit brothers.
It had Banana in it, so it fits...

I made it seem like this rendezvous would lead to a night full of debauchery similar to our “Men’s Weekend” in Minneapolis, but as we quickly found out, there’s not a whole lot going on around our area on a Thursday night, but we can always make our own fun and just getting to see each other usually seems to be enough.

For a frame of reference, last time he and I hung out we spent the night sitting in my basement drinking Jameson and trying to shoot a fly, or Asian Beetle (depending on your perspective and intoxication level) with an air soft pistol. Spoiler alert: We got that son of a bitch around 4:30 in the morning…we think.

Another standard for when we get to hang out is that he always has to go fishing, or do something the next day so that he has to leave by like 5am…never fails, and it never stops us from taking advantage of every second we have together, which kind of leads to the whole point of this…
I just wanted to put this in here because I found it randomly while looking for images and the caption said: REASONS I BROKE UP WITH YOU, and here's the why:
"You were a funeral director and we had banana double banana daiquiris at TGIFridays. I had sex with you out of pity, but then I sneaked out the window."

So Kelly’s dad is coming to pick him up at 5am to head to Fargo where he then has to hop in another car and get a ride to the cities. As usual we go out and attempt to have a few Banana Daiquiris but the first bar we went to led to this conversation:

Me: Do you guys make any sort of frozen cocktail?!

Waitress: You can ask the bar tender.

Me: Hmmm…because I could really go for a Banana Daiquiri…

Waitress: You can ask the bar tender.

Me: …well, do you guys have a blender?

Waitress: [Starts to walk away]

Me: I’ll just have a bud light…{under my breath} Fun Hater…

Our next stop was obviously TNJ’s where we were supposed to meet the fourth Musketeer, Jesse, but his son had had an accident that night and he decided to stay home. We think he still has a hard time facing Kelly though, ever since he stole Kelly’s sons name for his own son…

But TNJ’s does not serve Banana Daiquiris, not even for Volleyball nights, which would totally make TNJ’s the greatest place to be on Monday nights, but alas that’s still the Bar in Oklee which apparently does make Daiquiris! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, my loyalty is for sale and its beginning to look like the Oklee bar may be my new hangout…unless Jesse gets his act together and gets a Blender!

Ever read something thinking it’s going to be a blog and it just turns out to be a rant about blenders? Now you have!

Anyway, back to the night!

There’s only a handful of people out and about and I think it was just the three of us and Fikin’ Swayze that close the place down but we had a heck of a good time.

Of course that meant it was only 2am and as I stated, Kelly didn’t have to be on the road until 5am so of course we got a road pizza, headed back to my place, cooked it up and proceeded to solve the rest of the world’s problems…the problem with that was that we had also had a few Jamie Jump-Ups throughout the night so even though I know we solved all of the problems, I simply forgot the answers.

But at some point in the conversation we were trying to figure out how we got to be such good friends. The kind of friends where if you only have a day or two to see everyone you know, you at least try to see each other, and you know what…none of us could figure it out.

Funny how life works like that sometimes. It doesn’t matter how you met all of your friends, you just kind of grow together and decide, yep, that’s someone I enjoy spending time with. I suppose all relationship tend to evolve like this but the nice thing is that it didn’t matter to us, we had gotten to the point where we were friends, even more than that, brothers. It doesn’t matter how we got here, but that’s where we are.

I love to travel and to see places that I’ve never been before, but last year was tough because there was a handful of people that I really just wanted to make a trip to see, Kelly and his family, My cousins Scott and Mike, Alex and Andrea, and another BDandLL-er, Mike, to name a few. I didn’t really have the urge to travel to some faraway place, I just missed some of these people that I’ve grown awfully attached to over the years and have since moved away.

I’ve been awfully lucky to have friends and family like this in my life and although I wasn’t able to make it to see them, it’s nice when they come up or over or down or wherever they always find time to stop to see me. I hope everyone has friends like mine.

You know…friends that buy blenders for their bars…

It's only about $500 on Amazon, you'd make that back the first night guaranteed!

No comments:

Post a Comment