Wednesday, July 2, 2014

"Missed Connections"


Voyager's view - m4m
This is a long shot I know but you were driving bus today and you were very friendly to us even when we weren't riding your bus. Not sure if you were just really enthusiastic about being friendly to the customers or if you were flirting with us but you are super cute either way. If you like daddy bears and want to get together give us a holler. Tell us what you asked us to do when you dropped us off at the river the first trip so we know it is you.

  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

 

…I whispered…”Okay?” and they responded…”Okay.”

I did not respond back to the ad but we’ll always have that bus ride, we’d lost that before I read this ad.

I could just keep going with a bunch of ripped off movie quotes but in reality I don’t even remember this incident at all. Part of me thinks it was probably just one of my buddies messing with me, part thinks it wasn’t even me they were talking about, but all of me got a very serious laugh out of the situation!

I kept talking about how I needed to do a blog about customer service and then this happened. If nothing else it serves to show you how customer service should be done…to steal one more movie quote: “I find the one person who isn’t getting off, and I get them off!” (Almost Famous) Alright, that made this whole situation even worse, but really it’s what we do in the customer service industry. We want everyone to have a fantastic time so that they tell their friends and so they keep coming back as well.

I’d like to think that we’re all really nice people and unfortunately some people aren’t use to getting treated that way and consequently see it as someone flirting with them. I think you would probably be surprised with just how many people get confused by this. I am certainly no prize but the amount of women…and men, apparently, that hit on me simply because I’m nice to them down at our campground is pretty crazy. It’s great in a sense because I think we’re all looking for someone that treats us right, but for us we have to have that separation between business and pleasure.

It certainly wasn’t always that way, but in my older, more mature years I’ve begun to draw a line.

So most people read this and thought that it was pretty funny, I think/hope/whatever. The truth is that we have a pretty strong following in the LGBT community and our business is awesome because we get to see people from all walks of life. So many different cultures, people from every state, multiple countries, ethnicities, genders, sexual preferences, and religions…and here’s what I can tell you.

1.       Awesome people are awesome despite their background.

2.       Every group has its idiots.

3.       Some of the sweetest couples I’ve ever met have been same sex couples, but some are “traditional.”

4.       Some of the worst couples I’ve ever seen are same sex couples, but some are “traditional.”

5.       Everyone deserves a little fun.

The last thing is a big one for me. It’s something that my parents designed our business around with the slogan, “Don’t you deserve some fun today?” And don’t you? Some people have a different definition of fun than others and that’s completely alright as long as their fun doesn’t ruin someone else’s.

But getting back on this “Missed Connections” thing…

I was never put off by the ad at all, if anything I was flattered…alright, the “daddy bear” thing did put me off a bit, but other than that it was just someone taking that chance with someone that they might have missed an opportunity with, and the saying goes, “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”

One of my friends, who happens to be gay, commented on the post saying, “You know how many gays want to be misconnected…ugh…bitches.” But I think this once again, isn’t just a gay thing. How many of us have shared a smile with someone from across a room, or maybe had a course with someone and just never worked up the courage to ask them out, even though we think there might have been a spark there?

From the sounds of this ad the “Daddy Bear” may have had a few more “cubs” he wanted to bring into the mix as well, though, so there is that…

But what I’m choosing to take from this experience is that I am apparently so good at customer service that I have now taken the one person who wasn’t getting off and got them off…”Okay?”

I really do not have any clue what I could have told them though, I’m assuming it was just to try and get out to the middle of the river so that they can avoid the concrete left over from the old power dam that went through here as well as an “eddie,” which is just slowly moving water that spins you in a circle…which is what I tell everyone when I drop them off…I’m such a tease!

So there you have it, this weeks “Missed Connection.” Now I have something very important to discuss with all of our readers…I’m gay. Just kidding, I did have a conversation with a girl not too long ago though where she asked me if I had found a girlfriend yet and I told her that I was sick of girls and was going to go gay (bad timing considering this ad was probably posted around the same time…or good timing depending on your perspective), anyway, she told me that guys are no better always thinking with the “wrong head.” To which I responded, at least that shit’s predictable…but alas, I still find myself attracted to females, god bless you all who find men attractive…honestly, I just don’t get it.

But here is the most exciting news you will ever hear…and I mean hear…really…are you ready?

Are you?

“Okay.”

Kurt Philion, of KRJM Radio and Philco’s Freedom Team fame, has approached me about doing a “Happy Hour” radio show on his radio station! Now try and calm down people, I know you’re thinking to yourselves, “How could we possible handle getting off any more than we already do when we read your words?!” Well, I’m not sure about that either…they’re pretty potent words, but we’re going to give it a shot anyway!

The broadcast would start off at an hour length (with the possibility of extending it believe it or not) and would feature Kurt and I and special guests and would air once a week on Wednesday nights. The hope is to get the rest of the writers of BDandLL to join us periodically to discuss the different random things that happen to us that inspire us to write blog posts as well as just get together to bullshit a bit over the air waves.

We’re hoping to do the advertising a little differently as well. It’s set up right now for ads costing $40/month or $520 for the year but when you advertise with BDandLL you get two ways that you’ll get air time:

1.       Kurt and I will brag about your company in 30 second spots.

2.       We will have you or someone from your company join us to talk about what’s going on within your company and just shoot the breeze with us as well!

We’d like to get a few of these advertisers set up before we get started and we’re looking to start airing the show around September so if you’re interested in joining the “BDandLL Happy Hour” please contact Kurt or Jason and we’ll discuss the show with you some more!

Currently Kurt and “Heavy Kevy” air a show on Wednesdays on KRJM (101.5 FM) called, “Wacky Wednesdays,” which I strongly suggest you check out as it is a pretty darn funny show with just two buddies getting together to discuss random topics. Our show would air later that night around 7pm, and would undoubtedly change your life. Don’t let this turn into one of your “missed connections.” Let’s make some magic together!

No comments:

Post a Comment