Route 10 Life Lessons
1. Every Child is an artist. The problem is stating an artist when you grow up. –Picasso
2. The ones who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do. –Steve Jobs
3. It’s not what you look at that matters. It’s what you see. – Henry David Thoreau
4. Live the life you want to live. Be the person you want to remember. Make decisions, make mistakes. If you fall, at least you tried.
5. Life is partly what we make it, & partly what is made by the friends we choose. –Tennessee Williams
6. Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. –Anais Nin
7. Drama does not just walk into your life. You either create it, invite it, or you associate with people who love to bring it into your life.
8. A man is great by deeds, not by birth. –Chanakya
9. Live to learn and you will really learn to live. –John C. Maxwell
10. The worst enemy to creativity is self doubt. –Sylvia Plath
11. Creativity is intelligence having fun. –Albert Einstein
12. In this life we cannot do great things, we can only do small things with great love. –Mother Teresa
13. Good actions give strength to ourselves and inspire good actions in others. –Plato
14. If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn’t lead anywhere. –Frank A. Clark
15. Keep on moving in spite of every obstacle thrown at you…That is the true definition of character. –Jay Mullings
16. The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams… -Eleanor Roosevelt
17. Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit. –Napleon Hill
18. Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent. –Marilyn vos Savant
19. With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable. –Thomas Foxwell Buxton
20. Experience is what enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. –Franklin P. Jones
21. Courage is not the absence of fear it is the ability to act in the presence of fear. –Bruce Lee
22. Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can. –Danny Kaye
23. You have to fight through some bad days to earn the best days of your life.
24. Take time every day to peacefully appreciate the beauty in the world around you.
25. Instead of wishing you were someone else, be proud of who you are. You never know who’s been looking at you wishing they could be like you.
26. Go confidently in the direction of your dream. Live the life you have imagined. –Henry David Thoreau
27. Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change. –Jim Rohn
28. Create something that will make the world awesome. –Kid President
29. Fear is what stops you. Courage is what keeps you going.
30. Laugh when you feel like it, life is full of suffering and pain. Joy is not to be undervalued, interrupted or judged.
31. Patience and perseverance have a magical affect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish. –John Quincy Adams
32. It’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice.
33. Follow your heart but take your brain with you.
34. Don’t Give Up…Don’t Ever Give Up!!! –Jim Valvano
35. It’s vitally important that we speak – and speak often – about our goals and dreams. –Jim Valvano
36. If wars can be started by lies, they can be stopped by truth. –Julian Assange
37. Behave so the aroma of your actions may enhance the general sweetness of the atmosphere. –Henry David Thoreau
38. Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive. –Dalai Lama
39. Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out. –R. Collier
40. When you focus on success you will get stress. When you pursue excellence, success is guaranteed. –Deepak Chopra
41. Greatness is not measured by what a man or woman accomplishes, but by the opposition he or she has overcome to reach his goals. –Dorothy Height
42. Life isn’t about finding yourself, it’s about creating yourself.
43. I don’t intend to live in anyone’s shadow. –Jim Valvano
44. Never give up! Failure and rejection are only the first step to succeeding. –Jim Valvano
45. Go to college, stay in school, if they can make penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you. –Muhammad Ali
46. A winner is a dreamer who never gives up. –Nelson Mandela
47. We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right. –Nelson Mandela
48. There are flowers everywhere, for those who bother to look. –Henri Matisse
49. Go nine ridges and nine furrows further to help you own people than you would to the stranger. (Irish version of “Birds of a feather flock together.”)
50. You should not whine if you do not get what you want for Christmas.
51. Creativity is seeing what everyone else has seen, and thinking what no one else has thought.
52. Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them. –Dalai Lama
53. Be kind, even when the other kid doesn’t deserve it. We can change the world with kindness.
54. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. –Ralph Waldo Emerson
55. True leaders don’t create followers, they create more leaders.
56. On the road of life the only thing you can truly control is your action and reaction.
57. It’s what you do that defines you.
58. It is in moments when you are thankful that you’re still alive, only to know that the big dirty echo of yours sums up to merely nothing.
59. Don’t be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone.
60. Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding. –Albert Einstein
61. You can’t use up creativity the more you use the more you have. –Maya Angelou
62. The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. –Nelson Mandela
63. We can change you world and make it a better place. It is in your hands to make a difference. –Nelson Mandela
64. Fairy Tales are life lessons disguised with colorful characters and situations!
65. Say, “Thank You.” Slowly. Always.
66. If you don’t stand for something, you will fall for anything. –Malcolm X
67. Don’t be a bully. Always be kind.
68. Nothing worth having was ever achieved without effort. –Theodore Roosevelt
69. The flower of friendship can bloom even in hell. Now the petals of that flower will be spread over the rolling bosom of the sea. One day I will make that flower bloom again. O, Come my way.
70. Wisdom is knowing the right path to take…Integrity is taking it.
71. Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. –Mark Twain
72. The most important thing about goals is…having one.
73. Perseverance is Priceless. “It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.” –Albert Einstein
74. Follow your curiosity. “I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious.” –Albert Einstein
75. A dream is just a dream. A goal is a dream with a plan and a deadline. –Harvey Mackay
76. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm. –Ralph Waldo Emerson
77. Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. –Elbert Hubbard
78. Imagination is more valuable than knowledge… -Albert Einstein
79. A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new. –Albert Einstein
80. Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. –Thomas Edison
81. Don’t be afraid to give up the good to go for the great. –John D. Rockefeller
82. You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else. –Albert Einstein
83. Positive thoughts generate positive feelings and attract positive life experiences.
84. Information is not knowledge. The only source of knowledge is experience. –Albert Einstein
85. True happiness comes from the joy of deeds well done, the zest of creating things new. –Antoine de Saint-Exupery
86. When you are truly comfortable in your own skin, not everyone will like you, but you won’t care about it one bit.
87. Strong people don’t put others down…They lift them up.
88. He who obtains has little. He who scatters has much. –Lao Tzu
89. Don’t let others determine how you feel about your life.
90. Be who you are, it is enough!
91. Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive that is youer than you! –Dr. Seuss
92. When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like, what?!
93. Why try to fit in when you were born to stand out. –Dr. Seuss
94. You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. –Dr. Seuss
95. Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind! –Dr. Seuss
96. Today I shall behave as if this is the day I will be remembered. –Dr. Seuss
97. The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go! –Dr. Seuss
98. Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is that quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow.”
99. Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. –Ralph Waldo Emerson
100.Be a leader, not a follower!
101.Be nice and stay seated in the bus. (John – Age 7)
102.The most important things in life are not the possessions we own, but the people we love.
103.An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail.
104.When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. –Jimi Hendrix
105.Be there for others, but never leave yourself behind. –Dodinsky
106.Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein
107.With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable. –Thomas Foxwell Buxton
108.They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. –And Warhol
109.You will never influence the world by trying to be like it.
110.What you do today can improve all of your tomorrows. –Ralph Marston
111.Time is free, but it’s priceless. You can’t own it, but you can use it. You can’t keep it, but you can spend it. Once you’ve lost it, you can never get it back. –Harvey Mackay
112.The Mind is a powerful tool, when married to purpose. –Jay Mullings
113. Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you’ll land among the stars. –Les Brown
114. Not everything that is faced can be changed but nothing can be changed until it is faced. –James Baldwin
115. Authenticity is having the courage to let others see you as you really are. –Charlie Efford
116. If it’s easy, it’s not working. –Kris Kennett
117. Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love. –Lao Tzu
118. Always find time for the things that make you feel happy to be alive.
119. Those who are at war with others are not at peace with themselves. –William Hazlitt
120. Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you’re scared to death. –Earl Wilson
121. If you’re making mistakes, it means you’re out there doing something. –Neil Gaiman
122. The healthiest competition occurs when average people win by putting in above-average effort. –Colin Powell
123. I read because it takes me away, away to a place where anything is possible. –Hailey and Hannah (Route 10 riders)
124. Opportunity is always knocking. It’s your choice whether to open the door or not. –Lane (Route 10 Rider)
125. Life is like a camera. Focus on what’s important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, take another shot.
126. You can’t say “no” to something you don’t know. –Mathew (Route 10 Rider)
127. Take the attitude of a student, never be too big to ask questions, never know too much to learn something new. –Og Madino
128. Until you value yourself, you won’t value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it. –M. Scott Peck
The Five “W’s” of Life
1. Who you are is what makes you special. Do not change for anyone.
2. What lies ahead will always be a mystery. Do not be afraid to explore.
3. When life pushes you over, you push back harder.
4. Where there are choices to make, make the one you won’t regret.
5. Why things happen will never be certain. Take it in stride and move Forward.
We also had seven lessons from kid’s to-do lists which can be found here.
I will add to this list during the school year, as the kids and I continue to find new lessons on life!