Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Route 10 Year End Review


Isn't this the happiest damn horse you've ever seen?!


 I usually like to do one kind of serious blog and then have the next one be some random experience that I had that helps me to remember to not take life too seriously. Usually it’s something that really allows me to laugh at myself and hopefully allows some of our readers to relate and maybe not feel so bad about some of the things that they’ve done.

But I also wrote quite a bit this year about one of my “firsts” this year, that being, the first time I drove a full time school bus route, and I just wanted to reflect a little bit on the year that was…

I took the bus driving job this year with the stipulation that I would drive mornings to start off with landscaping for one of my best friends, Kyle, being my main job. When I started the year it seemed like I was doing the school more of a favor and I really didn’t think I was going to get much out of it other than the stress of driving a bunch of kids around.

I quickly began to see how great these kids could be though. Sure they could be a little loud from time to time, maybe a bit unruly, but they ended up giving me a better understanding of myself and helped me to remember that patience is a virtue.
Some really cool "scratch art from some great kids!

I began to post daily “Life Lessons” on my bus around the same time I picked up my pen again and started writing for this blog. As previously mentioned in Mike’s blog, these things we write are even more for us as individuals as they are for you our readers. I don’t write about life lessons because I have everything figured out, I write and post life lessons on my bus to open the doors of conversation so that we can figure out this thing called life together.

You’d be surprised by some of the awesome conversations you can have with kids when you post a life lesson about making sure to try and live a happy life, or how to live a creative one.

When you really stop to think about the time I spent with these kids this past year, and how much time they spend riding school buses, you might stop to wonder why we don’t use this time to try and teach a little more.

On average each kid that lived in the country rode my bus between two and three hours per day, five days a week for a total of 180 days…now I’m not expecting you to do the math, because lets face it…very few of us enjoyed Math in school, or life (lucky for you, I’m in the minority thanks to great teachers like Steve Philion!), but that figures out to each of those kids riding the bus for 360 – 540 hours a year.

In contrast, a typical University course, assuming a 3 credit hour class, has the students for 48 hours in the class room…

Crazy right?
Just a little sample of the hundreds of pieces of art the kids gave me this year!

I just figured those numbers out recently and was astounded. I was lucky enough to live close to the schools in Red Lake Falls, so as a kid I rode for an average of 10 minutes per day unless I was biking or getting a ride from my older siblings. I say lucky, and most people would because when you think about riding a school bus for that long you think to yourself, what a waste of valuable time!

For the most part, the kids on my bus didn’t seem to see it that way though. Maybe it was because they could tell that I genuinely cared about them, or maybe they just thought that the longer they rode, the fewer chores they’d have to do at home! But part way through the year I switched up the route so that the first kid I picked up in the morning got to be the first one I dropped off at night, which reduced the amount of time he rode the bus by about an hour and a half to two hours! It also made it so that almost all of the country kids were riding the bus for about the exact same amount of time.

There were certainly days the kids just wanted to get home, especially the really young ones, but I was able to keep them pretty engaged in conversation that it really seemed to help the time go by a little faster, but when you’ve only been on this planet for a short time, two hours feels like an eternity…I guess when the kids were a little crazy it sometimes felt like an eternity to an old codger like me too!

But in September we started the life lessons, and a pretty cool thing happened. Not only were kids reading them daily, they were engaging in conversations about what they meant. I was very pleasantly surprised that these life lessons, that certainly meant something to me, were also things that these fine young people could also relate too. It opened up my eyes to the fact that many of the reminders I needed in my life are things that we all too often forget, that we’ve been making some of these “mistakes” since we were children.

But kids are a lot more resilient then us old curmudgeons. They make a “mistake,” learn that it was bad, then learn from it and move on. No big show of resentment is needed. They mess up, they fix it, they move on. It doesn’t mean they won’t do it again, it just means that they don’t dwell on things, and that’s something I think we can all look at and wonder, how?

As adults we get caught up in our own heads too often (once again, this definitely is a message for me more than any others). We do waste too much time worrying about the “what if’s” and not enough time thinking, “why not?”

After a few months of posting these “Route 10 Life Lessons,” as well as watching a ton of Kid President videos, I started to really see how awesome these kids were and how awesome they could become, so I decided to do something a lot of bus drivers might not consider, something a lot of kids would probably hate their bus drivers for…I started to give them assignments!
One of the coolest things that was made for me this year! I framed it and am putting it up on my wall...kids are awesome!
You might not be able to read them, but the heart is surrounded by life lessons!

Now these weren’t your typical, read 3 chapters of this book and write a report on what you found assignments, they were geared towards unlocking their creativity and getting them to do more fun things. Very rarely did we discuss just how awesome sitting in front of a TV was, or how playing video games was just a valuable way to spend your time.

We talked about how important it was to read. How reading develops your imagination and with a good imagination and a great book, you can go anywhere you want!

We talked about their hobbies; hunting, gopher trapping, knitting, making bracelets and scarves, drawing, playing different sports, their vacations, and all of the things that you truly hope kids are taking part in.

What I found out from most of these conversations is that people today worry too much about this next generation. They think that they’re lazy, and that they spend entirely too much time wrapped up in technology, but I think that’s more so our problem (advice for me again!).

Some kids will turn out “bad” no matter what their parents do for them. It may be a chemical imbalance or something that occurred in their lives that really changed the person they could have been, but for the most part we truly are shaped by our parents. I can honestly say that the parents I get to deal with because I drive their children to and from school, are fantastic.

There’s no way I would have given these kids the assignments to create something, write a short story, or invent a new game, if I didn’t think that their parents would actively get involved with them and help to spark their creativity as well. Maybe some of the parents have the wool pulled over my eyes, but I strongly believe that they’re all doing a fantastic job and turning out some very caring, compassionate, and creative children.

The results of the assignments I gave were fantastic. Not every kid created something for me throughout the year, but everyone spent some time talking to me about creative things.

Such an awesome story/life lesson!
I do, however, have a giant stack of things that the kids drew for me, stories they wrote, and a couple of very awesome posters that some amazing kids put together for me, including one which features a bunch of life lessons!

The kids are multi-talented, writers
as well as illustrators!
I started out my year in a pretty bad place; I was depressed and admittedly, a little lost. Through great friends, and some amazing kids, I think I found myself back to me and that’s something I’ll always thank the people in my life this past year, including all of the amazing kids on my bus, and the contributors to BD&LL for helping me do.

The daily life lessons will continue next year and I can’t wait to see what the kids and I learn over our summer vacations!
This kids read over 8 Million
words this year!
What started out as a job for me has really become something I look forward to doing now, and I can honestly say that I’m going to miss not getting to see all of these awesome kids throughout the summer. Somehow, 540 hours just wasn’t enough…

I hope everyone has a fantastic summer, experience as many “firsts” as you can, take some chances, make some bad choices, and learn some life lessons. The BD&LL crew will continue to try and keep spreading the lessons we learn and need to remember ourselves, and we hope that you can relate a bit! This is the crazy time of year for me, so I’m hoping to keep up with my weekly posts, but if I can’t…I promise to at least keep up with my Banana Daiquiris!
On my last day, some very awesome kids gave me this...then stole
all my cookies on the way home! Haha, I love the kids on my bus!

Have a great summer everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment