Sunday, March 2, 2014

Whiskey & the Wolves

I believe a blog should be, in moderate instances and in small part, self indulgent. “Blog” comes from “web log” and a “log” is akin to journal or “log file." But because this particular blog is a collaborative effort, in this case, I may overstep the bounds of self-indulgent moderation. An important project of mine is beginning to take shape. I’m excited about it and as I am due for a new post and this is a current event, this blog makes it my turn at show and tell.
Before we get to the present I’d like to share a little back story. Like a previous season recap, here are the moments that have lead up to this project and the events of March 2014:

My music began with piano, then drums, bass, guitar. The guitar is my primary instrument, I only really dabble in the others. After a few failed start-ups, the band 9 Paces West was formed in 2001 in a mechanic shop in Lake Bronson, MN. At 18 and 17 years of age, we toured the local bars playing a barrage of new and old rock song covers as well as a constantly revolving (evolving) library of original music. College brought us to Grand Forks, ND and the band more or less followed, though we still played many of the same bars and other events back in Minnesota. This brought us to a house in Grand Forks, known as the Orange House, where I, along with 2 of my band mates lived and where the band rehearsed. A lot of great living happened in that place.

We met a lot of great people through playing shows with other bands and just knowing other musicians in our personal networks. One in particular, Starving for Gravity, was formed in the basement of the Orange House. For a few particular months both bands shared the rehearsal space and I’m not sure anyone really slept except through class. In 2004 we recorded a full length album, That Summer, which was released almost simultaneously with Starving for Gravity’s demo, When Did the Punks Get So Popular? We ended playing a lot of shows together, partying together, and I formed a solid friendship with Sir Lucas Holter, their vocalist.

Things slowly faded out for 9 Paces West in 2006-2007 and Starving for Gravity picked up and moved to Los Angeles. The hows and whys of that are for another time and place but in the 7 years that have passed since I’ve had an active part in creating and playing music I pursued school, married an amazing woman, taught sociology for a bit, and now find myself in the greater Los Angeles, CA area myself. While Starving for Gravity was no more, Lucas was still living here in CA.

In July 2013 Lucas, myself and Brad Kovar - also from Starving For Gravity - met up in a rehearsal space to just jam around a bit. With a riff I had come up with just hours before, we walked out with a song and unknowingly, a name from Lucas’ lyrics. Brad was, ironically, living back in Minnesota so after that first night, he flew back home. Lucas and I had never collaborated before, but quickly it became quite fluid and in the proceeding months we were able to write a number of songs that we feel quite proud of. It feels really, really good to be back making music.


Whiskey and the Wolves was technically born that night in July but the project is attempting liftoff in the next few months. Over the weekend of March 15th the three of us will be travelling to a studio in Denver, CO (sort of a halfway point between Minnesota and California) to record a set of demo tracks, 3-4 songs to form the foundation of an EP we hope to release later in the year. We also plan to start playing shows and adding musicians to round out a full band. But we’re doing it in a very, build-it-and-see-what-comes sort of way. I’m focused on this project, but if previous experience has taught me anything, you can’t force it.

That is where I am currently, and feeling pretty good.

~star date -308834.4021435819 (Yep).

If you’re at all interested in checking out Whiskey and the Wolves, we haz the Facebook where we are posting sneak peak rehearsal videos and other updates: https://www.facebook.com/lists/10100731244377495

If you like what you hear, we are asking for a little support in funding our studio time - along with our sincere gratitude, we will also offer digital downloads of our demos done in Denver and first dibs on future releases. As the project grows, we plan to give back as much as we can to those who support our project and make some bad~ass music to share with you. That site can be found here: http://www.gofundme.com/72gflk




No comments:

Post a Comment