Monday, March 3, 2014

No Longer 21?


Our collaborators have been doing such an awesome job writing blogs lately that I didn’t even have time to post one on Friday! Then I was going to do one over the weekend, and low and behold another blog from one of our awesome writers! So I figured now it was finally time for my weekly ramblings…which are precisely that!

Unlike most of our bloggers I don’t really sit down and write these blogs when something strikes me as a topic I need to write about. Really, I usually just start typing and hope something coherent comes out. Every now and then I’ll have some great experience over my week that really helps to move my post along, or I actually have one of those moments where I genuinely learn a life lesson and think…I better tell the world (or our 8 readers) about that. I’d like to apologize for lowering your IQ’s with my revelations. But this week I didn’t really have anything that moved me to write by my self-imposed Friday/Saturday deadline, so I was more than happy when the rest of the crew really picked up the slack!

My Friday night/Saturday morning probably holds quite a few life lessons that I could share with our readers as it had been quite a while since I had been out on the town and decided that if I was going to go I might as well go all out…but the details are a little fuzzy.

I started the night in a noble effort, going to the High School girl’s basketball game where we had started a new fundraiser for our charity basketball tournament. We do some half-time entertainment where we have some of the local high school kids go around selling $2 tickets for a chance at three shots, all of which could win you a prize. We do a free throw for a piece of pizza, a half-court shot for a $20 gift certificate to TNJ’s Bar and Grill, and finally a ¾ court shot for half of our progressive pot. We had done this event at about ten of the home basketball games this year and our progressive pot ended up at $891, with no one making the ¾ shot. The plan is to donate half of the pot to the basketball program and the other half will be donated to The V Foundation for Cancer Research through our charity basketball tournament, “Hoops for Hope.”

Unfortunately at the game a Richard Sherman-esque fan decided to throw a basketball at one of the players on the court and got ejected from the game, so that put a damper on the game itself but the girls ended up pulling off a good win in their last regular season game. For some reason, I figured all of that stuff meant that we should probably go celebrate…even though I’m not a coach, parent, or anything else really affiliated with the team…maybe I just wanted to have a few cocktails, one may never know.

We started our night at one of our local restaurants where we had a few bulldogs (nowhere in this town makes a decent Banana Daiquiri) and visited with some of the team parents, coaches and even the referees that showed up…until the fan that was ejected showed up everyone was having a pretty good time…then….crickets.

The guy was really nice and humble, and apologized for his actions. I’d like to think he was sincere…but I think I got my opinion of people like that out in the blog post about Richard Sherman. After he left we discussed the situation a bit more, but I was pretty much in celebration mode still for some reason so I moved on pretty fast.

We decided to leave the restaurant and moved onto the infamous TNJ’s to continue our night. As he often does, my brother said he was going to come up for one drink and take off, lucky for me his girlfriend recently turned 21 and wouldn’t let him escape!

My memory of TNJ’s is a little foggy, but for some reason I seem to remember trying to have serious conversations with people while some girl was grinding on my “shiz.” I say “shiz” because regardless of my “maturity” level…penis just seems inappropriate always.

Not so sure how the crowd at TNJ’s viewed my uncanny ability to multi-task, but I’ll have to admit…I was pretty impressed.

After closing down the bar (with my brother and his lady as well) I decided to go ahead and attend an after party at my buddy’s place, which probably wasn’t needed but at some point around the 3rd or 4th shot…you just start making bad decisions, like thinking you’re still 21 and that you should go to a post bar party…or that you can have serious conversations while some young lady is grinding on the aforementioned “shiz.”

The house party is where things get from foggy to, “What?! What Happened?!” I’m pretty sure I almost took home a chocolate lab puppy…even though it wasn’t for sale, or free to take. At some point I believe there was someone making enchiladas or some sort of tortilla based food. I feel like I might have put the moves on some girl at the party but as I woke up alone, as usual, I feel like maybe there was a failed attempt at multi-tasking in there somewhere.

I spent the rest of my weekend holed up in my room, as I found out something I’m finding out more and more often these days…I’m no longer 21. Two to three day hang overs are now the norm and my productivity level severely decreases when I spend a night out. But you know what…I had a pretty good time.

As I’m typing this blog thinking about how much I wasted my weekend (even though they say time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time) I just received a text message from my sister telling me that she just won a DECA Outstanding Service Award…maybe next weekend I’ll try to be more productive. I think maybe just getting another blog posted by Friday would be a good start…maybe one that doesn’t make me feel like taking a shower every time I read it…

No comments:

Post a Comment