Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Today is all about LOVE!

As today is Valentine's Day I thought it would only be appropriate to speak to you all about Love, the player formerly known as K-Love that is. Our relationship, as fans, has been much like a romantic one. When we first drafted Kevin (we're on a first name basis now) I was not a fan at all. I thought he was a decent player but thought he could use another year or two in college to develop. I even ran across one of his childhood friends in Wichita while visiting my cousin and told her that he shouldn't come out. I was pleading with her to talk some sense in to him but apparently my opinion did not matter at the time as he chose to come out in the draft after just one year in college.

Draft day came and low and behold Kevin landed in Minnesota through a trade...it was as if God was punishing me...or so I thought at the time. See I had been a pretty die hard TimberWolves fan for quite some time but after our breakup with another Kevin I became less interested in the team and began to follow him with his new team...I was facebook stalking well before it was cool. (It is cool right?)

As my old love began to have success with his new team I found myself happy for him but never thought that I  could be truly happy myself because I was living through another team. There was two solid years where all I could do was live in the past and think about what could have been...but then came the draft.

As stated I was not happy with the pick and lately I felt that we had done nothing but make terrible picks. I wanted to improve our situation but was Kevin Love really the one who was going to be able to do that for us?! As expected he did not have an all star type season that first year but he showed glimmers of being someone special, someone that could help me trust the TimberWolves again...

The following year we drafted 200 point guards, just to be safe apparently. Of those draft picks only Ricky Rubio and Wayne Ellington (not a point guard) are still on the team. I was still not sold, but the thought of Rubio coming to play in Minnesota gave me hope that one day I would love my home town team once again. Then there was the waiting and the debate, would Rubio ever really want to play for such a terrible team such as the Timberwolves. My self worth was quickly depleting and I really needed someone to reestablish my faith, as my feelings for my old love were slowly disappearing. Time really was healing my wounds. I once felt very strongly about our old flame KG but I was beginning to gain excitement about the possibility that this new Love might turn out to be something special, that as long as he found the right partner, hopefully in Rubio, they could do great things together.

We're in year one now of the Rubio/Love era and I find myself completely devoted once again. I still have some of KG's old things around my place, a few cards/posters and some of his clothes but I find myself less and less interested in them and have even thought about getting rid of them...but he is going to be a hall of famer after all and one day I want my kids to go to college! Hopefully the player that never went can help with that!

This past weekend I decided to spend the night with my new flames and had a wonderful time even though they didn't quite pull it out in the end they put forth an amazing effort and gave me something to look forward to in the future. Love has quickly become the stuff legends are made of and during the process has earned himself the nickname K-Bunyan or just K-Bun for short. It's not quite honey or sweetie pie, but we've come to the point where we're giving each other nick names and true love can't be far behind that...he calls me lumberjack stalker by the way.

K-Bun

 
In a totally unrelated note I can no longer visit him at his home.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! Spread the Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment