Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The One After The Last

In my previous post, I covered the joyous celebrations of sports athletes and how much fun it would be to do the same at my current job.  I was RIGHT, it’s amazing…
Moving onto this blog post, I will briefly discuss the other side of sports -- sports anchors. Love them or hate them, they are not going anywhere.  There are three different types of sports anchors: the one that does live broadcasting at the game, giving you the play by play; the one on the sideline that talks between quarters and games; and lastly, the sports anchor that isn’t at the games, but gives you the recap.  Now, which of these do you enjoy most...or better yet, which do you think is most annoying?
For me, the winner would have to be that all of them are annoying.  Their profession is right up there with meteorologist -- throw out some numbers and if they're right, who cares; but if they're wrong, still no one cares.  First off, the play-by-play announcer...I understand why your profession is necessary for the blind.  Let’s face it, if the announcer wasn’t there, it would be tough for someone who is blind to enjoy a game, unless they have invented brail subtitles.....hey, it could have happened.  But, back to the topic. I’m currently watching the game. I don’t need some annoying person telling me who passed the ball to who.  Yea, I saw it...thanks for the update.  Then they give their opinions on certain situations that no one cares about, complaining about calls or stating what they see.  Yea, we get it, and you're wrong as well (Jeff Van Gundy).
Next, we have the courtside announcer that only talks between quarters and at the end of the game.  Between quarters, they don’t say much.  Maybe they don’t have time or perhaps they just don't have anything good to say.  I’m going to go with the latter.  At half time, the interview with the coach is always the same. “Yea, our team is doing alright, but we have to give the other team credit.  They're playing great.  We need to find a way to pick it up at half.” Yawn…….Get new material (Dane Cook)…Finally, the game is over and they get to interview the player of the game. This might be the most disappointing for a young sports fan.  The interviewer will ask a simple question: ________(insert question)?  Then our heroes will answer with poor English, broken sentences, and frankly, not even answer the question.  Then a young fan will ask his mother, “Mom, I don’t understand what’s going on.  What did he say?” Mother will follow with, “Stay in school.” You would think college scholarships would get you somewhere.
Lastly, we have the recap sports anchor.  There are many different ones, but I am going to reference the ones on ESPN SportsCenter.  Don’t get me wrong, I love SportsCenter.  It's probably my favorite show, but there is a lot of repetition.  It doesn't matter if it’s 1st and 10, SportsCenter, ESPN2, or Around the Horn, everyone is discussing the same topic.  Let's take football season for example.  Tim Tebow -- how many times did we hear his name this season?  One day, all for Tebow.  The next, wanting to crucify him.  As stated previously, just like meteorologists, sports anchors will flip flop quickly.  Presently, we are in basketball season.  Oooooh yeah, thank goodness.  Just when I felt relieved that we won’t have to hear much about Tebow and that ESPN will ease up on the repetitiveness, out of nowhere, comes the Asian.  Linsanity, Me love you Lin time, Va-Lin-tine, Lintastic, the Lin and Only...the list goes on.  Yes, he is doing great and my hat is off to him, but seriously ESPN, you're killing me.  I can’t even watch you right now.  Saying Lin is the greatest point guard in the game...come on, there have been six games.  Greatest Asian, yes, I will give you that. Also, how did he not make it onto the All-Star team?  Are we only voting in America?...cause let’s face it, if half of China voted, he would have been the number one vote-getter.
Lin is playing awesomely.  His collection of wins is probably right up there with his Pokémon collection.  Can’t stop till you get them all.
Lastly, what piece of silverwear, pot, or pan was thrown down the hallway to come up with the name Lin?…

Was this the one...straight to hell on this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment