Friday, February 10, 2012

The One

The present and up and coming blogs will be a series called "The One." There will be stories of today and of yesterday. You may learn something or you may not. So come along with me.

Who doesn’t want to be a sports icon? Maybe an NBA Superstar hitting the game winning three pointer at the buzzer, or a gridiron Megastar winning the Super Bowl on a two minute drive? You may also want to be a hero on the ice making a miracle goal during the shootout. Maybe you want to be the man who cranks out a grand slam during the World Series. We grow up as boys dreaming of these things, wishing, and hoping for just a chance. Yea, we maybe didn’t put in all the time that’s needed to make it there or maybe we weren’t born with all that talent. 
When it comes to professional athletes, we must remember that it’s a job. They have to go out there and perform by putting up big numbers and finally carry their teams to the Promise Land (Disney World). I may be a bit jealous of professional athletes – is it their money, their fame, their houses, their cars, or is it their reality TV shows? Most people would say one or all of the above. I must say none.
I am jealous of professional athletes’ celebrations – anything from the Lambeau Leap to the fake championship belt, or throwing three fingers in the air, or ropin’ the cattle.  Man, isn’t that the dream…something that we all wish we could do at our jobs – Acting like we have never done our jobs before. That is the dream isn’t it? Getting paid millions upon millions of dollas to act a foo.
So, after having this discussion at the Super Bowl, I have decided that from now on, I will be celebrating at work. After booking a loan, I will jump on my desk and do a salsa dance. After setting the most appointments at call night, I will do a quick stare down then chant, “Can’t Teach This.” Upon completing a financial review, I will tear my shirt open like Superman. After getting a loan declined, I will bitch to high Heaven, saying, “Do you know who I am?” Then I will attempt to get the call reversed. Upon leaving my managers office, I will do a quick Tebow.
In the midst of discussing this brilliant idea, my buddy Jason, who works for a funeral home, asks me, “Pat, how would you feel if I wheeled your grandma into the church, set the coffin up perfectly, then started my touchdown dance?” I looked at him and said, “It could be worse. She could have been cremated and you could have Lebron James’ed her…”
                           Image borrowed from http://esthersteinfeld.wordpress.com/2010/07/09/lebron-james-is-a-genius-haters-abound/

Is that the one? Straight to hell on that one







 

No comments:

Post a Comment