Sunday, February 23, 2014

UNC - THE GREATNESS




The joys of sports…on any given day, something great or terrible can happen. On February 20th, the University of North Carolina proved to the great state of North Carolina that it’s still number one by taking down the 5th ranked team in the nation, the Duke Blue Devils. I know this is a bit hard to believe, but if you Google it, you will see that UNC actually won. Now, just a short history of the greatness of the Tar Heels:

-The school was establish on February 12, 1795
-UNC has won 5 National Titles
-17 ACC Championships
-29 ACC Regular Season Titles


A map of UNC fans compared to Duke fans Nationwide (source: the most accurate one you can think of)


The Tar Heels are not just one of the best teams in North Carolina; they are one of the best in the nation (usually). To be that great, you have to have great players and great coaches. The school had one of the greatest coaches in basketball history with Dean Smith and one of the greatest players of all time, Michael Air Jordan.

Stats on UNC vs Duke:

- UNC leads the series 133-104
- ACC regular season champs UNC leads 29-19
- NCAA final fours UNC leads 18 – 15
- NCAA Championships UNC leads 5 - 4

I guess one of the best things about sports is how it brings friends together…or pushes them apart. I wrote this blog because I lost a bet to my best friend. He is a UNC fan and I happen to be a DUKE fan. Writing this blog and doing the history of the two teams kind of made me sick. Lucky for me, DUKE and UNC will play again this year and hopefully the odds will be in my favor.

PS:
One thing I didn’t know about the greatness of North Carolina (something Wikipedia failed to mention) was brought to my attention by one of my best friends when he was visiting the campus. Apparently, it smells like winning and cotton candy.

3 comments:

  1. Great job Patrick, #'s never lie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They will play again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually heard that UNC dropped that last game against Duke and picked one up against the UConn women. Apparently they wanted to be more tournament ready...

      Delete