Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Stupid Music Blog


If there is one thing I hate, it’s being told to do something that I do not want to do!  I have a part of me that wants to revolt against anything and anyone who forces me to do something against my will.  This music blog is being forced upon me… and I don’t like it!  Damn you Mason!!!

Sorry to disappoint you, but I just don’t have the energy & motivation for writing about music at this point in time.  Now another apple blog, that I could get on board with… but I digress… and I promised you (Mason (Jason)) that I would write something.  I apologize in advance to those of you who might have expected more than the unorganized mesh of random thoughts that are about to follow.

I enjoy music, I think I can play guitar, & I can’t sing.  This is what I know to be true.  My Pandora account consists of the following playlist/channels: Garth Brooks, Foo Fighters, Mos Def, Of Monsters & Men, Drake, Mumford & Sons, Dwight Yoakam,  Frank Sinatra, Boston, Fleet Foxes, Metallica, Atmosphere, Paul McCartney, Johnny Cash, Bob Marley, Dave Matthews Band, Soundgarden, Beastie Boys, Chevelle, Notorious B.I.G., & a few others I think.  But from these channels I get most everything else in between.   And as Pandora gets to know what I like, I’ve found that I will occasionally get hip hop music on my rock stations, rock music on my country stations, and country music on my reggae station… I might as well just have it all on shuffle, because that’s what happens when you listen for 3+ hours… it all becomes the same.  There’s a lesson in there somewhere… but I’m too tired to run with it.

I listen to a wide variety of music.  I don’t have favorites overall, but I do pass from genera to genera depending on my mood.  I often listen to Pandora at work, only to get distracted by new songs (or great ones that I have not heard in a while).  This causes me to forget what I’m working on and go watch the music video on youtube (apparently I feel that helps me to understand the song… even though most music videos do the complete opposite… especially for TOOL songs), which then causes me to look up a guitar tab for that song and print it off.  Now you would think the next logical step would be to learn that guitar tab and rock out to a sweet cover of that awesome song I was so captivated by… but no… I just put it in a pile next to my guitar cases and tell myself that I will get to it after baseball season, then after football season, then next year, then once I get a free weekend… the excuses go on and on.  Point being… I need to make a better effort to play guitar more, and I probably make to many excuses in general with everything!  I actually used to be half decent (or at least I think I was), but over the last 10 years (wow that seams like a long time!) I haven’t practiced enough to just pick it up and rip off an entire song from memory.  This leaves me feeling like I’ve lost a part of myself.  Playing guitar had always centered me and kept me from losing my mind in the chaos of life.  I wonder how I got so “busy” that the hobby I used to enjoy the most became an afterthought... something I stumble across when I’m downstairs cleaning.   Tossed aside to collect dust while I catch up on laundry & make sure the dishes don’t pile up on the sink.  Left in the corner of a spare bedroom while I concentrate on my adult responsibilities and my job!  Peter Pan said it best “Growing up blows!” (that’s a real quote).

I’m reminded of the lyrics in so many songs that I’ve heard over the years… the inspiration you feel and the power they give you to overcome difficulty & cope with heartbreak.  Music is there for you when others are not… with songs that can carry you up over anything… it’s often what get you through a long day/week & keeps you from loosing your sanity while traveling from point A to point B.

So enjoy it, create it, or if you have the sweet, alcohol induced moves of Pat… dance your ass off to it!

BLOG DONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment