Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Banana Bowl Live Draft Extravaganza - Part 1


I’m starting to think that this whole blogging experience is just a way for me to get rid of some of my demons. A sort of internet confession to absolve me from my sins…and I’d like it to be more than that. I want it to be a blog that you turn to for inspiration, for ways to really get out there and live your life to the fullest. I would like it to be the first thing you turn to in the morning because you know it’s going to put you in a good mood right to start your day…in short, I’d like it to become part of your 100 Days of Happiness, or BDandLL Happy Days…

But, I haven’t done anything really inspirational lately and I’d like to take a minute here today, to tell you about the shenanigans that took place just over a week ago during what we at BDandLL refer to as: The Banana Bowl Live Draft Extravaganza!

This year’s draft weekend began the Friday night at what we are affectionately referring to as, “The Fucking Catalina Wine Mixer.” Barry and a few of his banker friends started a tradition a few years ago where they go to this soiree  at a ritzy golf course and enjoy a fine German cuisine and all you can drink beer for a measly $20 from 5:30pm – 8:30pm. This year marks their 3rd annual attendance and it just so happened to fall on the weekend of The Banana Bowl Life Draft Extravaganza!

Ryan and I arrived at around 7pm, enjoyed a nice plate of Brats, German potatoes, and some delectable beans and then began to attempt to empty a beer truck. By 8:30 I was preparing for the next day’s draft by trading away players I didn’t even have, then making calls to try and secure those players so that the first deal could go through. The wheels were in motion, the plan was going down exactly how I had planned and by the end of the ordeal I ended up with Matt Prater (Kicker – Denver) for the first round of drinks at the draft…it seemed like a lot of work to just end up with a kicker, especially a suspended one, but Cam (the guy I got him from) was devastated and that made it completely worth it.
For some reason Cam decided he needed to purchase a bag of Brats as we left...
No one knows what happened to these brats.


Somehow we felt like the next logical move for us would be to head downtown  and keep our little party going, so we went to our old standby, “Rooters.” When we arrived we quickly realized that we were very old (relatively) and out of place. The place still smells like week old stale beer, though, and that brought back many fond memories of our time spent there while attending my pre-med school thingy at MSU-M (it must have been pre-med for how long I spent there…although I can’t find my certificate or whatever you call it anywhere…).

We exited “Rooters” and had no real idea of what a better bar may be for our current age situation and intoxication level…we were looking for something in the early 30’s Intoxicated genre but weren’t exactly sure of where to find it…that’s when I remembered a few guests that had spent a night with us at our campground who worked at a new bar downtown called, “The Wurst Beer House.” And our German night was going to continue!

We’re lucky that Cameron was familiar with the newer bar scene in downtown Fargo as I really had no idea where to find this bar, I just knew that I wanted to go to there… We arrived and immediately felt more at home because we could actually hear each other talk and people were sitting at tables rather than standing or playing pool or darts…let's face it, this had early 30’s Intoxicated (and lazy) written all over it, and was the perfect place for us to continue our night! On top of the perfect layout and décor, individuals at just about all of the tables were drinking out of giant boot glasses, just like in the cinematic adventure, “Beerfest!”

As we sauntered by a table admiring some of this fine glassware, someone at the table said: “Why don’t you join us?” I looked up from my trance to discover three lovely ladies were the ones holding the boot (I’m not totally sure on the “loveliness” of the ladies as I had spent a good portion of my night at an all you can drink event, but at that moment, in that place…they were the most beautiful, kind, and caring creatures I had ever laid eyes on).

I honestly don’t know what I was more interested in, the beautiful young ladies or the boot…that may cause me future problems…but one thing was for sure, at one point I traded them Matt Prater (Kicker – Denver) for a boot, which they in turn traded to our waiter to deliver a boot to our other table. Long story short…the waiter at The Wurst Beer House now owns the rights to Matt Prater (Kicker – Denver).
I found a much better picture of this lovely lady on my phone, but I wanted you
all to see her how I remember her..through the eyes of beer goggles.

It was draft weekend after all. We also discovered, at some point during the night, that Cordarrelle Patterson (Wide Receiver – MN) was going by the nickname, The Flash. Now for those of you who don’t know, there is only one “Flash,” and he won that title in a naked race years ago and the only way anyone else can go by the moniker is if they beat him in a naked race, which Cordarrelle Patterson (Wide Receiver – MN) had not…so we called him out on Twitter:

We take this nickname thing pretty serious.

Man, I’m really starting to love Twitter! So, we had some good food, great friends, some possibly beautiful new friends, and boots filled with beer…but, as it does, time slipped by, the girls had to leave (not with us), the bar decided that it was time to polish the boots and put them to us 30-something drunks to get us out of the bar and the remaining members of our crew decided it was now time for some Drunken Noodle (Restaurant – Fargo)…

I think I’ll take a page out of Barry’s book here and make this a two part post, but I may actually come to a conclusion with mine…whatever did come of that 3rd part of his trilogy?! Anyway, enjoy this post and I’ll tell you all about the main event of The Banana Bowl Live Draft Extravaganza in my next post, pre-warning…it may involve more alcohol, dancing, karaoke…and maybe, just maybe…another random bar make out session…I really need to find Jesus…If you guys see him let me know, he’s about 5’ 11” and really knows his way around a garden sheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment