Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Slow Clap


 
 
Given the title of this blog, and some of our past posts, you may all assume that myself and the rest of the BDandLL crew had a few too many daiquiri’s and are now battling a venereal disease…I assure you this is not the case, we are not battling the clap…alcoholism is another story completely…

I can’t remember how old I was at the time, I think I was probably around 15, but my parents decided to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary by going somewhere my mom had always wanted to go…Hawaii! Even better was the fact that they decided that the whole family should go with as well, so something my mom had waited her whole life to do was something I was going to be able to check off of my list by a very young age, how awesome are my parents?!

The trip was amazing, I had never seen such beautiful things in all my life and getting to experience them with my whole family was a real treat. Looking back at it now that my mom is gone makes it all that much more special. But the memories we shared together here and everywhere as well as the values she instilled in me, and really everything that I am, make it so I will always have my parents with me, even if they can’t always physically be here. My mom’s voice is always floating around in my head helping me to make difficult decisions as well as knowing that it’s alright to let loose and truly live my life. I think both my parents have taught me the great values it takes to truly be a leader of men…and that’s where this blog is headed…

So, we’re in Hawaii…I’m 15, and having the time of my life. Who gets to do this right?! There were two events that made the trip for me, the first was an authentic Luau out in the jungle where they roasted a pig in the ground with palm leaves, the way it’s supposed to be done! The food was amazing, and after dinner there were all of these Polynesian dancers that came onto the stage to perform for everyone. After a while of performing they asked for volunteers from the audience to join them on stage, who actually volunteers for something like that?! As no one volunteered, they sent the dancers into the crowd to gather volunteers. It’s easy to turn this opportunity down when someone is asking you to do it over a microphone, but when they send out all these beautiful people to gather you up it becomes a little bit more difficult.

They came to our table to see if we would join them and believe it or not, I was a bit more of an introvert at this time and my brother really had to pretty much drag me onto the stage with him, saying that we might not ever get a chance to do something like this again, but I still went very reluctantly.

After a brief lesson on how to “hula,” they began a dance competition amongst all of the volunteers, which I think was pretty much just designed to get everyone out of their comfort zone and make them have fun. There’s a line from “Almost Famous” that comes to mind here, the lead singer tells the main character, a reporter, that he finds the one person in the crowd that isn’t getting off and makes them get off!” Well, apparently I was that one person. I was very nervous and obviously not really letting loose, so somehow they determined that I was the winner of the dance contest. What did I win? An opportunity to dance with a Polynesian princess…I shit you not. Fifteen years old and I was already ruined. How can any experience I have from here on out really compare to that?! Fifteen years later I still have the grass head dress she gave me after she kissed me on the cheek after our dance. Maybe it wasn’t that intimate being there were about 400 people there watching us, but more than anything the experience got me out of my comfort zone and showed me that life can be a real joy when you get out there and allow yourself to experience everything it has to offer.


The next day we went to another Luau, I was now officially on the circuit and decided I wasn’t leaving Hawaii without my own Polynesian princess…

This Luau was in the middle of the city and wasn’t very authentic, but the food was great and the entertainment was very good as well. Once again they gathered volunteers from the audience to come participate in the dance, but these guys were nowhere as good as the crew from the night before…

As I was not a dancer this time, we watched as the other people got their chance to get out of their comfort zones and really have a great experience themselves. But something about the music just took a hold of me, and that’s when the greatest moment of my entire life occurred…I began a slow clap.

It started small, just me. Then a few of my family members joined in, a little faster. Than the whole table took up with us, then the next, and the next! Before you knew it, something like 500 to 1,000 people were clapping in unison to the music, and I had started it all! The power immediately went to my head. There were a few other attempts to get it going again later by other individuals, but they never really took. It was an amazing moment shared by the entire crowd where we really became one, and it could have only been in that moment and it could only have been started by the true love of that beautiful Polynesian princess…but alas, we were not meant to be. She tried to get back with the world famous “slow clapper” but our moment, like the moment for the slow clap had lapsed. We’ll always have that very special dance together but we were both destined for other things…I sure hope she’s doing alright.

I think that trip to Hawaii awakened something in me. I started really putting myself out there a lot more after that. I think I started to figure out that we all only have this one life that we’re given and that it’s important to live it to the fullest. I struggle with the ups and downs of life as everyone else does, but at the end of the day I think I can safely say I leave it all out on the field. I make the most out of my experiences and relationships and have very few regrets in my life. I believe that people in general want to do good and I believe that for good reasons.

Each year we host a charity basketball tournament called “Hoops for Hope,” which raises money for cancer research. This April will be our 9th year hosting the tournament and each year we have been able to raise more money than the previous year. We also get more participants and more and more people are not only getting involved with our event but are getting more and more involved with the organization we donate our money to, The V Foundation for Cancer Research. Now I started this blog by talking about leadership and the title of this blog is “The Slow Clap.” Can you see how such organizations as ours are very similar to that event that happened to me back in Hawaii?! A few of us got together and wanted to do something special to help find a cure for cancer…then a few more joined us, then a few more. We have now raised over $160,000 for cancer research through our event…clap.

I’ve really taken a liking to this Kid President kid as well. If you found this blog post through my Facebook page, than I’m sure you’ve seen me post several videos of this kid doing his thing. He is a true inspiration and I wish we could all heed his words a little more. Right now he has a “Socktober” campaign going where he is trying to get everyone to gather up donations for homeless shelters across the nation, world, universe! Clap.


It truly is amazing when you think about it. Fifteen years ago I got it in my head that I could get a group of people to come together to do something pretty cool together, and we did it. The timing was right and let’s face it, the motivation was there too. The confidence I got from the event the night before told me I could do anything…but can’t we all do anything? Clap

The first step to starting a slow clap is knowing the timing is right, I’m here to tell you that the timing is right. There is no day like today! What’s your slow clap going to be? I’m more than willing to be here to help you keep it going. Clap

No comments:

Post a Comment