Friday, January 24, 2014

BDandLL Tackles The Shermaniac


So I just got done with one of the worst bus routes that I’ve ever had to drive…the roads were simply terrible, I just got home and poured myself a nice Jamie Jump-Up and tomorrow I’m going to go and plow some roads! Who am I talking about?! Crabtree! Don’t you ever talk about me; I’m the best driver in the game! Thus begins my rant about sportsmanship and setting a good example for our ute…or youth.

One of these days I’m actually going to get to that customer service blog I keep saying I’m going to write but life keeps throwing these other very important lessons my way that I feel need to be addressed. The customer service blog will come from me some day, it’s pretty much what I got a degree in so it may actually be the one thing I have something to say about that would actually be along my lines of “expertise” if you will…but I like to try new things, like being good at writing about sportsmanship, so let’s give it a go!

If you are unaware of Richard Sherman, the unbelievably talented cornerback for the Seattle Seahawks, then here is a clip for you of the amazing post-game interview he gave after breaking up a pass in the NFC Title game which sent his team into the Super Bowl. The receiver he was defending was another amazing player named Michael Crabtree:

This spurred a whole world of backlash (including this blog), most of which was negative but Yahoo Sports put together an article claiming that Sherman’s antics were right up there with what Tim Tebow was always doing, which was talking about his faith. The sad fact is that this is kind of the message that a lot of the professional athletes are sending. Trash talking is apparently part of the game. All of the good players are supposed to be confident individuals and are supposed to not only let everybody know how good they are, they’re also supposed to break down the guy in the other uniform…isn’t there some sort of anti-bullying thing we’re trying to accomplish these days? What kind of message do players like Richard Sherman send to our youth? Here’s a video of our youth, reenacting the video.

We can’t put all the blame on Richard Sherman, though. I spent some time this week attending some high school ball games and jotting down some incidences that occurred and how sportsmanship was handled. The first game that I went to was a boys basketball game where there were some extremely crazy parents in the stands who were not only yelling at the referees but also the players, coaches and anyone really that would listen. I’m kind of old school in the thought that sports can teach us a lot of things about team work, helping others, and how hard work can pay off, so I guess I don’t quite understand where bitching about everything that doesn’t go your way came into play? As far as I’m concerned these crazy parents are what turns kids into individuals such as Richard Sherman.

Now I keep attacking Sherman here and a lot of you that maybe saw some of the other coverage of him may think that I’m going overboard here. You may say that the guy has a lot of good qualities too, you may even buy into the bull crap that he’s been spouting since about how he was caught in the heat of the moment and that’s not really who he is…well here’s another video for you from before this incident:

And a Facebook meme about his Stanford achievements:

 

What a lot of people seem to forget is that professional athletes sometimes have a tendency to cheat at high school and college. I’m not saying that’s the case here, but another thing that a lot of people may not be aware of is that Stanford allows a lot of individuals that are not the “smartest in the nation” into their school. They make exceptions for people who are really good at other things, such as sports, so that the average really smart individual doesn’t get so discouraged when they realize that they are not stacking up to the upper echelon of Stanford. That’s a fun fact I learned from reading the book, David and Goliath. It also proves to be a great way for the NFL and other professional sports teams to say that they have athletes that appear to be smarter than they really might be, such as Richard Sherman.

Regardless of this “Catch 22” Richard Sherman did still graduate from Stanford with a Master’s degree, an amazing accomplishment no matter who you are, but having an education doesn’t necessarily make you educated. Some of the smartest people I know share a common trait with Richard Sherman…they’re assholes. Sherman can be, and might be, the best player at his position in the entire NFL. He can be a Stanford Graduate. He can donate to charity and help out his old school. But, put the guy in front of a camera and let him show you who he really is, and every time I’ve seen him he comes across the same…as a jerk who I would be ashamed to have any kid aspire to be like. All the talent in the world doesn’t make you a better person. I’m not a religious guy by any means, but if one day I have to sit at the pearly gates and await judgment I’d like to think that the way I’ve lived my life, and how I treated others would be of far greater importance than where I went to school and how good I was at a game.

I love sports. If I can stop biting through my lip while playing basketball, I’d like to think that I’ll keep playing them as long as I possibly can. I currently play in a city league basketball league where we run across guys from time to time who think they might be the world’s greatest athlete. Someone needs to tell these guys that they’re playing in Grand Forks, ND at a City League. But they run their mouths, talk about how good they are and try to bring down the other guys that are out there playing. Guys who are still playing mostly because they like the camaraderie of playing. Who want to get out of the house at least one night a week and spend some time sweating up against some other dudes…wait, that came out wrong…guys who want to get their heart rate pumping and shed some baby fat…totally saved it. The last thing I want to have to put up with is some jackass who gets off on being a dick.

I will certainly get cocky when we’re playing against a team that we know, especially if I’m playing absolutely terrible. I do it in jest because I think most people think that to truly be cocky like that is absolutely ridiculous and makes you look like a complete fool. One of my favorite scenes from any sports movie is from Coach Carter. After his team starts to get good, they start to get cocky on the court. They run their mouths and are degrading the other team, so in practice the coach has them run a play and when they score an easy shot off of it he has this response:

There’s no place for this crap in sports, from the players or the fans. The sad thing is the same people on the court/field/etc. who are obviously a bunch of jerks are someday going to reproduce and what do you think the result of that will be? I know it’s a classic chicken and egg scenario but when you have players such as Richard Sherman promoting this way of playing on top of everything else…everybody loses.

The sad thing is, until that game…I really had no clue who Richard Sherman was. I guess he was voted into the Pro Bowl the year before, but if they’re not a Viking I could really care less who become an All-Pro. I’m sure he’s really big in Seattle, but he’s obviously done more than me in his 24 years on this planet so I guess I should just try to be more like him…or I could try to be more like someone who plays the same game with much more class, Peyton Manning. I’m sure somewhere along the line he’s done several things that he has regretted but you put this man in front of a camera and you think, role model. He has so much respect for the game that he actually writes hand written letters to guys retiring that he really respects. Now Richard Sherman is young and his legacy is still building, but as Peyton Manning gets closer and closer to putting a cap on his career it’s pretty safe to say that he will go down as one of the greatest to ever play his position. EVER. Not one year, or two…but ever. It’s a point that’s hard to argue when you look at his whole body of work, and the man did it with class…he also graduated from Tennessee, which isn’t as prestigious as Stanford, but I think he’s doing alright for himself.

So in summary I guess you could conclude that the life lesson we should learn from Richard Sherman is that anyone can be an asshole. You can be well educated, an unbelievable athlete, and even a charitable person…but asshole is still asshole. What really gets me is that the NFL season started by suspending a player who was bullying another player on his own team (Incognito), now it ends with another bully headed to the Super Bowl as a representative of this proud sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment