Friday, February 28, 2014

Banana Daiquiris and Soggy Lessons

Today’s lesson: How not to lose your mind and how to appreciate your spouse. 
(That’s right, kids. I’m giving you a two-fer!)

The day started out like any old Monday. Nothing special, nothing exciting. That is, until I learned that my new kitchen appliances would be delivered early. Like, same day early.

You could say I was riding a new appliance high. Everything was great. Meals were waiting to be cooked, warm beer was ready to be chilled by a new fridge (strictly for quality control purposes, of course…), and dirty dishes piled up waiting for the brand spankin’ new dishwasher.

Life was great. No, life was better than great. Manny finally got on board that new appliances were destined for our kitchen. I might add that this convincing was no easy feat considering “Manny Garner” has three little letters after his name that can sometimes make my life difficult: C.P.A. (Yea, see what I mean?!?)

I digress… Dreams of pinterest inspired homes danced in my head. Martha Stewart had nothin on my kitchen plans. This was going to be awesome.

Monday night was coming to a close and all but one of the new appliances was installed and up and running. Everything except the dishwasher. For whatever reason, Whirlpool decided not to include an elbow joint amongst the miles of tubing, clamps, screws, and other doo-hickeys needed to install it.

“No worries,” we said. “We’ll get the part tomorrow,” we said...

I drifted off into a deep slumber dreaming of my new kitchen. Such a deep sleep, in fact, that I did not wake up at 3am when Manny thought someone was knocking on our door. But it wasn’t a late night visitor. Oh no... It was the sound of water dripping from our kitchen down into a laundry basket in our laundry room below. This is where shiz gets real...

Manny wakes me up to tell me that our house was flooding. FLOODING.

Oh to be a fly on our wall at this moment. Both of us were half awake, not sure what to make of our situation, and basically running around like chickens with our heads cut-off. After turning off the main water source for our house and soaking up the water in our kitchen with every towel we owned, we quickly realized this wasn’t good. Ever had it rain in your (finished and fully furnished) basement? If not, I can tell you it sucks. And if you have experienced this “fun” I want to personally treat you to a really big banana daiquiri because, my friend, you deserve it.

Around 4:30am, in the midst of the mess that was our house, we became delirious with disbelief and exhaustion. It was then that Manny and I started laughing hysterically. Sputtering this ol’ diddy:

Amen, Tood and Margo. Amen...

It seems odd, but it was just what we needed at the time. I’m guessing it’s pretty important to make sure you can have fun with your spouse/significant other - in both times that are fun and times that are not so fun. Thank gawd Manny and I are able to do both, otherwise our situation could have been so much worse. There was no finger pointing (shhh… let’s pretend the appliance idea wasn’t mine… mmm, k?) and we were able to do as much as we could at the time.

Half our furniture = shot. Flooring (both upstairs and down) = soaked. Sanity = still missing.

Now anyone that knows me - in real life or via the blogosphere - knows that Manny and I have two young, very active boys. Boys that go searching for things they’re not supposed to touch. With this in mind, we packed up the ol’ casa and headed to a local hotel. I might add that this particular hotel happened to offer a complimentary evening social, complete with food and beverages. Winning!

We all sat down to dine on chicken wings and french fries (did I mention it was free?) and the boys quickly showed their excitement over their new digs by cheers-ing their sippy cups of apple juice quote loudly over their gourmet meal. The drained feeling Manny and I had experienced all day lifted a tad. They kids were seeing this as an adventure, not as a crappy day. I mean, heck, there is a swimming pool here!

As I’m writing this the boys are dozing off in their new temporary bedroom -- a queen bedroom suite complete with a large flat-screen tv. They don’t have it so bad and come to think of it neither do we. The mess will (eventually) get cleaned up and our lives will (eventually) get back to normal, but until then I’ll be looking for my sanity. If you see it can you give me a call?

Cheers! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment